Mindfulness Stress Reduction
What is mindfulness?
Mindfulness is the psychological process of bringing one's attention to experiences occurring in the present moment, which one can develop through the practice of meditation and through other training. Read more about mindfulness. In other words, it is concentrating on purpose. This technique serves to reduce stress, regulate emotions and has been clinically proven to increase grey matter in the brain , leading to lasting change and increased resiliency.
Mindfulness includes and is not limited to:
- Mindfully and purposefully engaging in action with awareness. Tasks could include: mindful eating, taking sips of tea, concentrating on driving without letting the mind drift.
- Engaging in purposeful time for mindfulness meditation or meditation. This type of mindfulness is commonly thought of sitting in a quiet room with legs crossed, and concentrating on the breath, or watching thought float by without connecting to it.
- Activities such as painting, colouring, walking the dog, playing with children etc. where the awareness is only on the task at hand.
Meditate at NAIT
Join us as we go through guided meditation together. Beginners are welcome.
Meditate with NAIT on Wednesday mornings in CAT 406
10:15am – 10:50am
Guidelines for joining the group meditation:
- Please be silent in the room
- Take your shoes off
- Help yourself to a pillow or a mat located in the left cabinet
- You can also meditate on a chair
- Join the practice silently
We will be joined by Bhante Nanda and Bhante Suseela, chaplains with the NAIT chaplaincy, and part of the Alberta Buddhist Vihara Association during the term when they are able. Please contact us email@example.com if you are looking for the next available dates they will attend.
Try it Now – Meditation and Mindfulness
Sandra Durban, a NAIT staff member, has generously offered the following resources to help enrich your sense of calm. Sandra will also be offering a Meditation Practice course.
How to wash your hands
As with meditation practice, always begin with something easy, like how to wash your hands mindfully.
Listen to the guided meditation (5 minutes)
It is best to listen to these recordings while lying on your back on the floor, a firm bed or a firm couch. Place your hands by your sides and allow your feet to flop to the side. You might want to cover yourself with a blanket to keep warm. This recording is designed to help you relax deeply, so please do not listen while operating machinery or doing any other task that requires your full attention to be safe. If you fall asleep during this relaxation, that’s okay. It just means your body needed to sleep.
Try these guided meditation